Re: Oracle8 on NT......Slow

From: keith boulton <boulke_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 17:43:58 GMT

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 09:51:03 -0500, "Stallan, Tony (EXCHANGE:BRW2:S901)" <stallan_at_americasm01.nt.com> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I have installed Oracle8 onto my NT box (350Mhz, 68Mb Ram) and am
>encountering poor performance when compared to my original setup of
>Personal Oracle 7 on Win 95 (same box).
>
>As this is a development environment I am the only user of this system
>and the NT box is not connected to a network.
>
>A Select statement made on the PO7/W95 system takes less than 1 sec
>where the same statement on O8/NT takes ~ 8 secs. I also posted a
>message yesterday about the lack of speed when Inserting records and I
>made the recommended changes (thanks) to Init.ora but to no avail. In
>fact I have tried many different combinations of changes to Init.ora all
>of which made no difference.
>
>My current feeling is that I may not have enough memory to handle both
>NT/Oracle8 effectivly. So is 68Mb Ram and a 64Mb paging file enough.
>Remember that I am the only person using this system and I have not got
>a multitude of applications open.

I would not expect there to be a large difference between NT and W95. For insert performance in batch, check the size of your redo logs.

For the select performance, have you checked the access path of the two statements and are the tables involved identical? Received on Fri Apr 02 1999 - 11:43:58 CST