Re: Euro Symbol Support

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:02:58 +0100

coakleyj_at_hotmail.com wrote in message <7dvlbl$sv3$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Hi to everyone.Oracle 8.1.5 will have (has) a number of character sets that
>support the Euro Symbol,for example WE8MSWIN1252 which corrsponds to
>codepage ANSI1252 usedby Microsoft.However, we have just installed our
>Euro path for Windows95 which hasadded the Euro sysmbol at position 128 to
>number of Fonts.However, on copying the Euro symbol (say from charmap -
font
>MS SANS SERIF),and pasting it into Notepad, the result is a square box
>rather than a Eurosymbol.This leads me to believe that Windows95 does not
>inherently support theEuro symbol at the operating system codepage level.
>This in turnmakes me believe that I will not be able to retrieve the Euro
>symbol froman Oracle database (unless I apply an appropriate font to the
>field).But from Sql*Plus, for example, if I issue the following command:
>select to_char(123, 'U999') from dual;Given that Sql*Plus will use the
>Windows95 codepage (rather than anotherfont), I fear that the Euro sysmbol
>will not be displayed. Please note that I am assuming that my database and
>client charactersets at the Oracle levelare set to values that include the
>Euro codepoint.Or am I doing something incorreclty. Does Windows 95
>inherently support the Euro symbol? If not, will it in the future?Thanks
>to everyone for your help and advice.Coakleyj

I could be wrong here. But Notepad in Windows 95 and SQL*Plus both use the Fixedsys font. If you cannot see the Euro character in Notepad is that because Fixedsys hasn't been updated for Euro support? You would then have the same problem in SQL*Plus.

How about trying with SQL Worksheet (the SQL shell that comes with Oracle Enterprise Manager)? It uses Courier New as font, perhaps that has been updated for Euro support?

Hope this helps.

Finn Received on Fri Apr 02 1999 - 05:02:58 CST