Des2K question: Sizing objects

From: The man from the great white north <gdallair-nospam_at_geocities.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:55:07 GMT

Hello,

We are running des2K version 1.3.2 and I'm wondering if there is an easier way to size tablespaces/tables/index than my current method:

  1. Create a FAKE database in the repository (Say: SPACE database)
  2. Create a FAKE IDX and TBL tablespace in the repository, belonging to the SPACE database
  3. Assign my tabls and indexes to the IDX and TBL tablespaces with proper begin/end rows. I have to do this to isolate my new tables from the other tables/index belonging to my application that already exist.
  4. Use the repository reports to estimate tables + index sizes

Now I have a good idea about sizing the objects, and I can put the correct storage parameters to all of them in order to generate the DDL scripts, but the problem is that after that, I have to go back and change all IDX and TBL associations back to the real tablespace names, otherwise, on my next estimate, those tables and index will be taken in consideration which I don't want !

In fact, I could have asked the following question: Is there a way under designer 2000 to batch change some properties: Ex.: Replace all properties having the "IDX" value for "SOME_INDEX_TABLESPACE" instead of having to spot each one.

Of course, if someone has a better tool to estimate the size of objects... But I'd prefer having it integrated in des2k, I don't want to type the definitions of tables (I already did the job in des 2k) or have to temporarily create the tables somewhere just to estimate their size...

Thanks

Guy Dallaire
Systems Analyst
Centre de recherche industrielle du Québec Ste-Foy, QC, CANADA

Please remove the -nospam from my e-mail to respond Received on Thu Apr 01 1999 - 20:55:07 CST