Help disabled computer users in Eastern Europe Appeal

From: J.Wojtczak-Pashko <xxx_at_attachmate.co_>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:12:30 GMT

Title: Help disabled computer users in Eastern Europe Appeal From: V-chairperson of the Charitable Foundation of Canadian Polish Congress

I have been asked by the Polish Foundation of Disabled Mathematicians and Programmers for help. This Foundation has been set up under the auspices of the Polish Academy of Sciences and is doing a tremendous job in spite of a very limited funding. These people are very well organized, however, living in the country where a democracy has been established only a few years ago, they have to struggle with many problems.

I was deeply touched when I got the letter from the Chairperson of the Foundation, Mrs. Elisabeth Pleszczynska, a Prof. of Statistics at the Institute of Informatics of the Polish Academy of Sciences, describing the situation. The Foundation cares for people who are paralyzed because of accidents, people suffering from multiple sclerosis, from chorea, muscular dystrophies, and several other disorders of movement. The majority of them are professionally active and struggle to be financially self-sufficient in everyday life, several are really outstanding in their work, and practically all of them use computers as a basis for their professional work, mostly performed at home - for book-keeping, word-processing, statistical data analysis, graphics and so on.

The Foundation secures admission to hospitals and convalescent homes, it sets up shifts for volunteer nurses, organizes a telephone support network that operates round the clock, and constantly seeks freelance work for the people under its charge, especially for those who are totally housebound. The Foundation has organized the Computer Centre that is now equipped with several computers connected to the Internet, thus increasing the Centre's communication potential. The Foundation runs computer courses and offers home tuition to people whose disability prevents them from attending the classes.

The Foundation relies mainly on voluntary contributions from the public, occasionally, it gets small grants from institutions. The resources are very limited, whereas the number of applications for the Foundation's help still increases. All the necessary devices - wheelchairs, fittings at home, appliances in the bathroom, computers which must be constantly updated - all are very expensive. The difficult situation made the Foundation seek our help.

In our Charitable Foundation of Canadian Polish Congress, all members are volunteers and, though of different occupation, are deeply devoted to people in need (I myself am a retired university Prof. in Human Physiology). You may be a professional person yourself, enjoying the full use of your body, or you may be a disabled person too. The people we are trying to help are professionally active despite their sickness, many are quadriplegic and yet perform their work using a few fingers or other aids - in a country where obtaining specialized help is still very difficult. Many of these people get progressively worse without hope of recovery. Please help! Every penny counts!

If you think you can help by making a donation PLEASE SEND A CHEQUE OR MONEY ORDER TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS, INDICATING CLEARLY "DISABLED COMPUTER USERS IN POLAND" (we will send you a Canadian tax receipt for donations of $25 or above). If you have any questions you can contact me directly or use any of the enclosed contact addresses. (please note: since I do not normally use newsgroups, please e-mail me directly rather than posting your reply).

Thank you

Jadwiga Wojtczak, M.D., Ph.D.
V-chairperson of the Charitable Foundation of Canadian Polish Congress, E-mail:

        J.Wojtczak-Jarosz_at_CIMtegration.com
Postal address:

	Ms.Jadwiga Wojtczak
	Charitable Foundation of Canadian Polish Congress
	288 Roncesvalles Avenue,
	Toronto,
	Ontario,
	Canada M6R 2M4.
Tel.##
	Office: (416) 532-2876 or 532-7197,
	Fax: (416) 532-57-30,
	Home: (416) 207-0199,

 TO MAKE A DONATION - PLEASE SEND A CHEQUE OR MONEY ORDER TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS,  INDICATING CLEARLY "DISABLED COMPUTER USERS IN POLAND"  (we will send you a Canadian tax receipt for donations of $25 or more)

Other contacts:

Prof. E. Pleszczynska
Chairperson of the Polish Foundation of Disabled Mathematicians and Programmers in Warsaw.
e-mail: eple_at_Wars.IPIPAN.Waw.PL

Janusz.E.Roguski
(the first member and organizer of the Polish Foundation of Disabled Mathematicians and Programmers - suffering from spinal muscular atrophy, currently quadriplegic).
e-mail: Janusz.E.Roguski_at_pwn.com.pl

Donations can also be deposited directly to the account of the Polish Foundation of Disabled Mathematicians and Programmers in Poland at:

	BGK 1/O
	Lucka 7/9,
	00-958 Warszawa,
	POLAND