assigning variable in SQL*Plus

From: <andyho99_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:15:04 GMT

Hi,

I need to write a report program (using SQL*Plus under HP-UX) which will be run semi monthly, ie, automatically submit the job on 1st and 16th of each month which will pull out the transactions from 16th to last day of last month and 1st to 15th of current month respectively.

I was wondering whether we can assign a value to a variable from sql statement in SQL*Plus. For now, I wrote a Pro*COBOl to create two files which contain from date and to date. SQL*Plus program will read that 2 files as &1 and &2 for the date range. It looks stuipd but it worked.

Thanks, Andy