Re: question regarding NFS mounted devices

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 99 15:33:18 GMT

In article <370283F5.AB869813_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl writes:
>Joe Driscoll wrote:

>> are there any FAQ's or other source of information that would
>> address the pro's and con's of putting log devices on a NFS mounted
>> drive?

>I wouldn't even consider it. The writing of log files needs to run
>smoothly always, as writing the log is done before any change is
>committed to the database. Network mounted drives will always be slower
>than ordinary drives. I would strongly advise against doing this, and I
>didn't even consider the possibility of the remote system going down,
>which will crash the database, and cause problems on the most vital
>files there are.

Then why would Oracle certify Netapp NFS servers for Oracle RDBMS?

Philip

 Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA   e-mail: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my Voice:+60-5-545-1011 Fax:+60-5-547-3932    Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
---
 þ 10181.32 þ Usenet is the antidote for information. Received on Thu Apr 01 1999 - 09:33:18 CST