Re: Implicit Package Compilation

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:23:23 +0800

Charles,

Whenever an object is changed all dependent objects are marked invalid and therefore need to be recompiled. i.e. If a TABLE is modified, the Trigger is marked INVALID. If your global package is changed, then all dependents are marked invalid. When one of these dependents is referenced, all packages that it is dependent upon will be compiled, if they are not already compiled.

BTW - Oracle provide a utility that will compile all the packages in a schema. DBMS_UTILITY.COMPILE_SCHEMA. However, this (in v7,3) did not compile TRIGGERS so these have to be done afterwards with ALTER TRIGGER COMPILE; We used this utility at my last site. Whenever a package was changed, we always ran the DBMS_UTILITY.COMPILE_SCHEMA routine, followed by the Triggers. That way, we did not ask the users to implicitly compile the packages (which sometimes does not work (can't remember why)).

Hope this helps,
Andrew