Explicit Locking in PL/SQL

From: <yitbsal_at_statcan.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:11:09 GMT

Hi,

I got a problem similar to the following.

Two tables -- master and detail. When a user edits a record in the master table, I want to lock (read-only allowed) the corresponding detail records. So in my edit_master_table stored procedure, I'd like to lock the detail table, do the edits, and then unlock the detail table.

What's the best way to do this? BTW, I'd like to trying locking with a wait before kicking other people out. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Salaam Yitbarek