Oracle8. Insert takes soooo...long

From: Stallan, Tony (EXCHANGE:BRW2:S901) <stallan_at_americasm01.nt.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:32:23 -0500

Hi folks,

I have just installed Oracle8 on an NT box and am attempting to insert rows into a completly empty table with no indexes. My problem is that my routine gets to approx 100 rows quite quickly and then slows down to a crawl. The frustrating part of this is that this is a new database and this is the first table to go in it.
The same routine on Personal Oracle 7 (Win 95) flys.

Can anyone help me, see the setup below for more info.

Thanks in advance for any help

Tony Stallan

Server setup
350Mhz PC with 64Mb RAM and plenty of disk space NT 4.0 (sp4)
Oracle8 with Context cartridge installed but not started. Not connected to any network.

Database setup
Empty, other than system tables and my new table

Table
4 columns. 1 number, 2 Varchar2(100) and one Long. The average size of the data going into the long column is 3k with a maximum size of 32k. No indexes, triggers, etc. Initial extent 50Mb

InitOra
db_name = orc1
db_files = 1020
control_files = ("E:\orant\database\ctl1orc1.ora", "E:\orant\database\ctl2orc1.ora")
db_file_multiblock_read_count = 16
db_block_buffers = 550
shared_pool_size = 11534336
log_checkpoint_interval = 8000
processes = 100
dml_locks = 200
log_buffer = 32768
sequence_cache_entries = 30
sequence_cache_hash_buckets = 23
#audit_trail = true
#timed_statistics = true

background_dump_dest = E:\orant\rdbms80\trace user_dump_dest = E:\orant\rdbms80\trace db_block_size =2048
compatible = 8.0.5.0.0
sort_area_size = 65536
log_checkpoint_timeout = 0
remote_login_passwordfile = shared
max_dump_file_size = 10240
text_enable = true Received on Wed Mar 31 1999 - 08:32:23 CST