Re: Help: Settle an argument regarding EXTENTS

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:29:38 +0100

Van Messner wrote in message ...
> A single extent of 60gig is probably not a good idea.
> He probably has always built tables as he says, and that was standard
> thinking until maybe six months ago.

That's a sad reflection on how slowly people learn. I've been making this point in presentations for the many years, people have been announcing it in this newsgroup for at least the last 2 years, and the Cary Millsap paper you may be thinking of is dated March 7th 1996 and that says: (I quote):

    More and more people have learned that     multiple extents bear negligible performance     impact upon all Oracle DML operations.     .......
    The number of distinct extent sizes in a given     tablespace should be small; for example, only     one. If there is more than one extent size in a     tablespace, then all those extent sizes are     integral multiples or divisors of each other.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk Received on Wed Mar 31 1999 - 02:29:38 CST