SQLNet TNS processes on VMS

From: Laith Suheimat <l.suheimat_at_mdx.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:19:15 +0100

I am having problems with TNS processes in SQLNet 2.1.5 with Oracle Server 7.1.5.2.3 on Alpha OpenVMS 6.2.

We are running some Perl scripts from an Apache Web Server on a Linux client that connect via Net8 to the VMS server, logon to the database and disconnect. Typically each logon lasts about 6 secs and does a simple select.

During testing I can watch the logical name table and tns processes being created/deassigned for each connection with no problems. However, every now and again we get one or two TNS_<pid> processes that have not been cleared by SQLNet (i.e. the client has disconnected). The logical name table for that TNS process is also not deassigned from the lnm$system_directory table.

When we were running these scripts overnight we ended up with so many TNS processes/logical name tables, that we ran out of dynamic memory on the server and had to reboot.

I have checked the com file that is called by the listener and it uses the correct code to deassign the logicals. Oracle support have also checked this.

Regards,

Laith Suheimat
l.suheimat_at_mdx.ac.uk Received on Wed Mar 31 1999 - 02:19:15 CST