Error connecting to remote DB via SQL*PLUS

From: [uid0] <mar_sn_i_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:51:29 -0800

Hello all,

Im a newbie to all this, please be patient with me :)

I have searched high and low for an answer to this, and therefore I have resorted to posting a message here. If anyone can help me, please please please let me know

The situation:

Have 2 machines connected to a network:

Machine A: x.x.x.x
Machine B: y.y.y.y

Machine A: Oracle8 Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production (Redhat Linux 2.0.36) Machine B: Oracle7 Server Release 7.1.3.2.0 - Production Release (UNIX System V Release 4.2)

I am attempting to utilize SQL*Plus to establish a connection from Machine A to Machine B. I am able to establish a remote connection from Machine B to A, but I am having difficulties going the opposite direction.

From Machine A, I attempt to utilize TNS Ping and receive:

Attempting to contact ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=machineB)(PORT=1521)) OK (20 msec)

This appears successful

doing a tail -f on the listener log of Machine B shows me that the ping was received.

from Machine A, I receive the following

SQL> connect user/pass_at_MachineB
ERROR:
ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

I receive the same message on the listener log file

Here is some other necessary info that may help anyone who can help

tnsnames.ora from MachineA:

machineb.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = y.y.y.y)
(Port = 1521)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = y.y.y.y)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = A)
    )
  )

listener.ora from MachineB:

LISTENER=
  (ADDRESS_LIST=
    (ADDRESS=

      (PROTOCOL= ipc)
      (KEY= A)
    )

    (ADDRESS=
      (PROTOCOL= tcp)
      (host= 207.217.68.3)
      (port= 1521)

    )
  )

# List of services served by this listener

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST=
    (SID_DESC=

      (SID_NAME= A)
      (ORACLE_HOME= /oracle)

    )
  )

# Start of configuration parameters

STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
TRACE_FILE_LISTENER = "listener"
LOG_FILE_LISTENER = "listener"

The SID is 'A' (which is correct, I have checked it a million times)

I tried to give all the information I could. . . if anyone has any idea why i cannot connect (even though I can tnsping) please let me know. . . I am sorta new to this oracle stuff (less than 2 weeks working with it) so if this is a newbie question, i appologize.

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Jeff