Re: Oracle/Windows NT user authentication ....

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:02:25 +0800

Hi,

You are looking for Operating System Authentication. Within the Oracle INIT.ORA parameter file, there is a parameter called OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX which defaults to the string "OPS$". This can be changed if required.

Now for a user with an NT account of "ADMIN" to connect to the Oracle Database, you just need to create an Oracle User called "OPS$ADMIN".

If the database is not on the same machine, then you also need to enable the parameter REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT, but before you do this, make sure you check out the security implications as talked about in the Oracle Manuals that talk about Operating System Authentication. REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT can be VERY dangerous.

Rgds
Andrew