Re: 3-tier in client server

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:09:11 +0000

Here's my attempt.

A 3 tier solution is probably used most to describe web applications although I'm sure there are many other interpretations:

e.g.

Browser<->web Server<->database

To get this with a forms app (normally 2 tier) you would need to deploy the app on the web. Note that not all two tier solutions (client-server) can be made into three tier solutions.

To do this with forms you would require a web browser. The Forms Server (Usually sits on the application or web server). You will find this on the Developer 2000 server CD. The oracle database.

Each component sits on a teir.

The web server and database could be combined depending on performance and security issues.

IMO what has happened is the client has been split in to two components to enable the client machine to be thinner (hence thin clients). i.e. Less or not so powerful hardware.

Obviously you could split each component many times and allocate each layer to a tier of it's own.

I hope this answers some of your question.