Re: SYSTEM tablespace

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:14:13 GMT

Just a note:
I would never....and I mean NEVER, install a product that creates objects in the system tablespace, unless it was an Oracle product...

Only Oracle RDBMS stuff should use in the system tablespace - no users, tables, etc

If you can change the tablespace the product installs in, do it and be sure that one has enough space for the product's needs...

Just my opinion, of course
( I'm not qualified to give anyone else's)

John Greco
Oracle DBA/Application Developer

David Dodini <david_at_tumbleweed.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was doing an installation of a product that creates a schema in an
>Oracle database this morning. The following error was returned to me
>during this part of the installation:
>
>*******
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
>SYSTEM
>*******
>
>I dropped the user and all of its database objects that the installation
>script creates. On subsequent installations I still received the
>aforementioned error message. Not being an Oracle dba the best I can
>gather is that there is some sort of fragmentation of the system
>tablespace. Is this correct? More importantly, how do I reset my system
>tablespace so that I can do installations and not run into this problem?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>David Dodini
>
>--
>David Dodini
>Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
>Tumbleweed Software Corp.
>1-650-569-3679
>david_at_tumbleweed.com

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Mon Mar 29 1999 - 15:14:13 CST