Re: One for the gurus

From: Marc Mazerolle <informaze_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:09:35 GMT

They should be matching the SQL processing steps :

(see inline)

Ivan Bajon wrote:

> I've been asked to explain in detail how SQL*Net transfers data. So I tried
> running this simple query with trace level 16 turned on:
>
> select 1 from dual;
>
> I ran the query on Oracle7.3.4 using SQL*Plus 3.3.4 (in blocking mode to
> avoid a million "transport read error"s and with SQL*Net 2.3.4. The UNP is
> TCP/IP (default packet size), the OS is WinNT4 in both ends, and the SDU is
> default (2K I think).
> The trace file shows the following packet transfers (given in level 6
> output):

SELECT statement is sent to server to be parsed

> 134 bytes to transport

Result of parsing returned to client

> 70 bytes from transport

No binding required for this specific select. So Open cursor on result set

> 49 bytes to transport

Cursor returned

> 45 bytes from transport

Request to fetch first row

> 117 bytes to transport

Return first row

> 102 bytes from transport
>
> The first packet contains my statement and some overhead. The following two
> look very binary. Then follows what I believe is the result. I cannot
> identify the 5th either. The 6th contains an error message "no data found".
> Could anyone please either direct me towards a precise and thorough
> source of information regarding the behaviour of SQL*Net or tell me
>
> 1) What do the above packets 2, 3, 5, and 6 contain?
> 2) How are the packets organized? How much is header and where etc.
>
> Any help very much appreciated & guaranteed to include you in my evening
> prayer. :o) I've searched through documentation, Metalink, Technet etc. I've
> haven't been able to find anything that goes into this much detail.
>
> Ivan Bajon

My intepretation is opened to critics. I have no ideas on the format of the messages.

Regards,

Marc Mazerolle
InforMaze Technologies Received on Mon Mar 29 1999 - 15:09:35 CST