ORA-01653: Unable to extend table

From: <mgaffney_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:58:17 GMT

Hi:

I am trying to load a table with data from sqlldr, and after 15 million records or so am getting this error:

ORA-01653: unable to extend table SYSTEM.T_FOO by 466608 in tablespace DATA01 ORA-27039: create file failed, file size limit reached.

That tablespace has 8 2 gig data files with it, and I finally added a ninth with autoextend (which I am guessing si what Oracle is trying to do here, autoextend it), and it is about 2.5 gig in size when things go wrong. I know I have enough disk space, I have checked the tables and tablespaces, and the table has max_extents set to 505 and is only at 29 or so. I am thinking although the tablespace has not reached its limit, there is a reason that Oracle is not letting me extend the file past that size (I can't do it manually either). Where do I adjust such a limit? What other things might cause this error?

P.S. I know I can make at least a 4 G file on that file system, so it isn't an OS thing. I am using Oracle 8.0.4.1 on an SGI with RAID 3.

Thanks,

   Mike