Re: Rollback segment problem

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:01:46 -0800

Tony

The first two errors basically say look further down the error stack. In other words the 1594 error is the important one. 1594 is reported when a rollback segment is being shrunk but there is not enough space in the current undo extent to complete the job. Shrinking uses whatever is available in the current extent in the rollback segment. If no more space is left and the extent you would move into is one that is being freed you will get 1594. This error is harmless. When you retry, chances are you will not get the same error again.

Usually this is caused by running a transaction after a huge transaction commits. Because of the setting of OPTIMAL, a very large number of extents need to be deallocated all at once. One way to avoid this problem is to have larger extent size. Another way is to have a larger OPTIMAL setting, so that only a smaller number of extents will be removed at one time.

SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT is also a good idea for large jobs so you know which rollback segment they will use.

HTH. Pete

tony.adolf_at_viaginterkom.de wrote:

> My database shitdown with the following error message in the alert log:
>
> ORA-1595 error freeing extent(2) of rollback segment(9)
> ORA-0604 error occured at recursive SQL level 1
> ORA-1594 attempt to wrap into rollback segment 9 extent 2 which is being freed
>
> I can see/guess that a rollback segment fails to get released and when an
> attempt is made to reuse it oracle falls over, but why?
>
> Any clues.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Tony Adolph

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA