db link to different subnet

From: Nandan Kalle <nkalle_at_questfs.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:58:28 -0500

Are there known problems with creating database links between two Oracle7 databases in different subnets?

Database X is one subnet; Database Y is in another. If I create a database link from Database X to Database Y, and I try to select from a table through that link, I get a "TNS Error: Unable to connect to destination."

If I put them on the *same* subnet, the problem goes away.

BTW, I *am* able to log onto Database Y from Database X's computer (via SQL*Plus), so SQL*Net seems to be in good shape across the subnets. It's only when I try to create a link that I get screwed.

Both machines are Oracle 7.3 on NT 4.0.

Thanks in advance,

--

Q U E S T F I N A N C I A L S E R V I C E S The premier financial modeling company

Nandan Kalle
Principal
T 212.242.6686 * F 212.308.0010 * E nkalle_at_questfs.com * http://www.questfs.com Received on Mon Mar 29 1999 - 08:58:28 CST