Re: Oracle on NT with raw devices

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:24:29 GMT

For what it is worth, in our case we have a couple of instances that are about 150G each. What we have done is used RAID5 SCSI adaptors such that the primary tablespace drives are 100+GB. On one platform the disks are:

         A/B(floppy)
          C  System, 4GB, mirrored
          D  CD ROM
          E  DBA drive,8GB, mirrored
          F  User Staging,8GB,mirrored
          G  128GB, RAID5

The instance is a quad processor with 1GB of main memory, running O8.0.5 oen NT4SP3.

We have a server set with raw devices, but it is a Parallel Server (for 7x24 failover) configuration under IBM AIX. To tell the truth, I haven't heard of anyone using raw devices under NT.

In article <CqqL2.1292$Ey1.2574_at_ndnws01>,   "Don Khan" <dkhan_at_mediaone.net> wrote:
> Does anyone use raw devices for Oracle datafiles on NT? In the UNIX world
> this is common but I am wondering if DBAs for large Oracle on NT
> installations use raw drives. What about when NT volume sets cannot be
> allocated a drive letter because all drive letters have already been used.
> Could Oracle still use a raw volume set that does not have a drive letter.
> Reason I'm asking is because I'm working on a product that does backups of
> VLDB installations for NT and I need to figure out how Oracle NT customers
> are using storage. If you are in such an environment I would appreciate any
> info. Thanks.

Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.
502-451-7404