Re: ora-06502 with PL/SQL

From: Mark Gumbs <mgumbs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:52:09 -0000

You normally get this error when you try and put a string in a variable which isn't long enough to cope wih it

In this example, a variable is defined as varchar2(10) but the string being allocated to it is 22 characters.

SQL> declare
  2
  2 v_string varchar2(10);
  3
  3 begin
  4
  4 v_string := 'The Cat Sat OnThe Mat';   5
  5 end;
  6 /
declare
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error ORA-06512: at line 4

Check your data and variable length definitions.

Mark