SOS: Balancing two tables

From: Alexander Lurk <lurk_at_ike.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:18:28 +0100

Hello Experts,

I have a problem, which I have to solve on monday. There is a HP-UX based Oracle Database V7.3 which collects information in several tables.
Another NT-based system shall get automatically in dayly periods the changes of about 6-8 tables.
The contents of the tables mnay be 20.000 and more tuples, the dayly changes affect about 10 up to 100 rows depending on the tables. Which number of records forbits to make a complete copy instead of finding out and inserting only the changed rows?
Which is the best way to get these changes inserted in the NT Oracle database?
We have no attribute to mark the new inserts in the HP database tables. Nor do I know at the moment if there is a chance to use audit. Which way is the best to find out the differences between the two tables before the insert starts. And what do I have to check, when new inserts are done during this operation to get I think, this is a really solved problem and there should be solutions out there, which can help me not to invent exisitng algorithms.

Please can you email me your suggestions asap? As I told before, on monday I have to face and solve the problem.
Please email to tischendorf_at_arkusa.de because I do not connect to news very often.

Thanks for any advice

Manfred Tischendorf Received on Fri Mar 26 1999 - 12:18:28 CST