Re: Why does Orcl generate REDO logs in NOARCHIVE mode?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:39:48 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:16:00 +0000, you wrote:

>Whoops I did get confused between flushing and checkpoints. Yes that does make much more sense
>and SCN numbers fit better into place. My problem is that I am working forward from the premiss
>that writing rollback to redo is wasteful. At the end of the day it does seem somewhat subtle
>as to why it is not wasteful but a necessity. It must of made for interesting debates at the
>conferences when V6 was launched.
>
>So what's wrong with BI AI journals .....no, just a joke.
>
>There was a reference to these issues being documented in the 'Oracle 8 server concepts'
>chapter 14. I can't find this on my CD. I have an 'Oracle 8 concepts' but no title referring to
>'Transaction management'. Chapter 14 is PL/SQL. Not having much luck am I. Can't even find the
>documentation. It may be there. I'll check it out this weekend.

Every Oracle8 Server Concepts Manual I have has a Chapter 14 entitled "Transaction Management". Part No. A54643-01

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Mar 26 1999 - 09:39:48 CST