Re: Oracle Newbie Questions...for you experts.

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:24:26 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Gregory Carter <gcarter_at_digivis.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:09:29 +0000, you wrote:

>#1 Does anyone know how to check an Oracle 8 database with a script or
>something that would insure its integrity is intact?

there is the command:

SQL> analyze table emp validate structure cascade; Table analyzed.

that checks the table and related indexes for structural correctness.

there is the command

$ dbv /some/data/file

that can be run on offlined datafiles (you can run it online but it can report spurious errors since the files are being written to)

there is my favorite:

$ exp .....

yes, export is a great validation tool if your database is reasonably sized. Nothing else exercises your data dictionary and all ata as it does. You get a backup to boot.

In Oracle8i, there is a dbms_repair package as well that can validate and to some degree patch errors.

>#2 I would like to backup my Oracle 8 database by making a dump of it
>every night too disk, otherwise I have to entirely shut it down which
>isn't an option.

its called a hot backup. the database does not need to be shutdown in order to backup. See the server admin guide for more info.

>That is it!
>
>-gc
>-gcarter_at_digivis.com

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Mar 26 1999 - 07:24:26 CST