Re: archive logs

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_nospam_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:58:19 GMT

In article <7bjib6$4cf$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, noams_at_ncc.co.il wrote:
>I'm sorry if you get this twice (lousy connection)
>

>My database is working in archive mode (automatic)
>I have 4 online redo log groups each 10MB and my database holds heavy
>transactions.
>
>My problem is that the database is switching it's log file each minute!
>that means my database is producing 10MB of archive each minute.
>
>Although it makes alot of big transactions, I'm not sure that the reason the
>log files are switched is becuase they are full (maybe cause of some other
>reason).
>
>Anyhows, if I DO have to keep up writing 10MB of archive each minute then when
>can i delete them (I'm performing a hot backup each night 00:00)

Make sure that your tablespaces are not left in backup mode after the hot backup. While a tablespace is in backup mode (alter tablespace xyz begin backup), entire blocks are logged rather than just row changes. That of course dramatically increases your redo log volume.

You need to have at least all archived logs since the start of your last hot backup - including the one that was current when you issued the first alter tablespace begin backup for that hot backup. For safety I'd keep two or three generations of hot backups and the all the archive logs generated required for each backup. Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 14:58:19 CST