Re: Cannot shutdown database normal!!!

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:10:15 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:25:15 +0100, "Jens Kieffer-Olsen" <dstdba_at_post4.tele.dk> wrote:

> It's advisable to use a large NEXT extent size for the temporary =
>tablespace,
> 1MB or even the sort_area_size. Also run an alter tablespace ... =
>coalesce
> at regular intervals.

I'm affraid neither of those two advices are realy good advices for temporary tablespaces.

As for the "large NEXT extent": the optimal size of the NEXT tablespace parameter depends on the nature of the most usual events that require the temporary segments, but the more important guideline is that NEXT should be the same as the INITIAL and that PCTINCREASE should be set to 0.

And as for the "coalescing the temporary tablespace": with the INITIAL, NEXT and PCTINCREASE set as mentioned above, you should never perform the coalescing of the temp tablespace, as the performance of the operations requiring sorts will degrade until enough equaly sized temp extents will be allocated again.

>--
>Jens Kieffer-Olsen

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 15:10:15 CST