Re: Autorisation in ODBC for Oracle 7.3

From: Nina Wiesemann <nw.th_at_rhein-main.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:56:29 +0100

Hi,

1)
When a user has certain rights on tables she has the same rights from SQLPlus, ODBC or whatever.

You could create a table where your application inserts the SID of the user on logon.
For every table you should write an insert-update-delete-trigger. If the current SID is not in the Table you could raise an application error. Disadvantage : When the user finds out how to use this table from ODBC this mechanism does not work anymore.

Better approach : Use one standard user to log into the database from within your application. Only this user has all write privileges on your tables. Provide some read-only views to the users they can access with their database-privileges.

2)
Without a view it seems to be impossible

N. Wiesemann