Re: How do I check for full tablespaces?

From: Kumar, Sai (EXCHANGE:PERPK:3374) <saikumar_at_nortel.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:34:47 -0500

gremlin wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have a database that I used sqlldr to successfully load about 17
> million records total (7 M in each of 2 tables), using a script to load
> about a million at a time. This perl script writes .dat files and when
> they get to be over a certain size (pic a number) I invoke sqlldr and
> then truncate the file and keep going through that process. This works
> up to a point and then I start getting "Non data related sqlldr error".
> I am guessing I need to add another .dbf file somewhere. It will let me
> add a record or two at a time with "update table ..." but if I run
> sqlldr with even 20 records I get this error. What is the best way to
> check something like this (I'm a n.b. to the DBA aspect of this).
>
> The .dbf files always have the size I allocated since I guess they are
> cleared or just allocated when I create the database, so how do I tell
> how much space in the tablespaces actually gets used?
>
> P.S. Oracle 8.0.4.1 (?) on SGI Origin.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> --
> To reply to me via email, remove the "__NO_SPAM__" in
> the header email address.

Mike,

Here we go , with a small sql script :-

select tablespace_name,sum(bytes/(1024*1024)) from dba_data_files
group by tablespace_name;

This will give u the total allocated size of each tablespace in MBytes.

select tablespace_name,sum(bytes/(1024*1024)) from dba_free_space
group by tablespace_name;

This will give u the freespace that is available in MBytes, for each tablespace.

Hope this might be helpful.

Thanks
Sai Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 12:34:47 CST