Help on stored procedures.

From: Jeff Gardner <jefff_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:41:27 -0800

Greetings,

I'm creating an app that interfaces with the Oracle database. My goal is to keep as much of the queries as possible on the Oracle server to black box my queries and app code as much as possible. I'm very new to Oracle and am finding that the definitions of words based on MS SQL are not applying to Oracle very well. I'd like to create a stored procedure (a stored procedure - as I understand what they are from a MS SQL point of view) that will allow me to insert parameters for a particular query and return a result set.

Is this even possible? Is it simple? An example query would be

I have created the following stored procedure. It compiles fine. The name of the procedure is FOO

( id out varchar2)
is
 begin
  select SYSTEM_ID into id from SYSTEM;  end;

How do I execute this procedure from SQL+

When I tried
SQL>execute foo
I get an error wrong number of parameters.

When I try
SQL>execute foo('xx');
Expression can not be used as an assignment target

All I'm trying to do is to display the result set to the screen. Could you help with the syntax or what ever I need.

Thanks

Jeff Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 12:41:27 CST