Attn : Thomas Kyte (Performance)

From: <aa9611_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:17:07 GMT

Hi,

I have these performance related doubts. Please advise.

  1. REF CURSOR vs CURSOR

If I have to process many tables, would there any difference with respect to performance if
I declare a weak REF CURSOR and use it each time with different selects than declaring separate the cursors individually.

2. If before updating the values in the table in a procedure,  I wish to store the previous values in a history table, is it better to do it in the procedure itself by doing a select-> insert and then update OR is it better to do it using trigger(old & new). Which of these two approaches would be optimal ?

Thanks.