Re: oracle prices, are they for real?

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:04:54 GMT

christine_at_techresource.org kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

> 1300 dollars for oracle on linux. Does anyone
>else think that this price is recockulous. Do people
>actually pay these prices. I think i'll just tough
>it out without either postgres or mySQL.

It's expensive, that's sure, if you compare it to single-user free software.

On the other hand, you get five user licence to begin with and it doesn't matter what is your hardware.

Compared to value of hardware it's expensive on PC but not so on Solaris or HP.

I suppose you wouldn't buy new, fully loaded HP or Sun either?

> I remember reading 200$ for oracle on linux
>somewhere a year or so ago, this was from a news post,
>though.
>Were prices ever resonable or have they
>gone crazy just recently. I would never pay this much
>for software.

You, as a single person, might not. I wouldn't either.

It's a different thing when you buy software for continuous use and when it costs $ 10k / hour when things don't work.

So you pay for reliability, expandability, credibility and power. Something that you don't get cheap, ever.

If you think so, look again.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.