Problem with serializable distributed transactions

From: <PGaudin_at_isaserver.be>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:49:06 GMT

Hi everybody,

I have 2 databases.

The first is a 7.3.2.3 oracle database in which I have compiled "READ" procedures reading local tables and putting the read data in PL/SQL tables.

The second is a 8.0.4.1oracle database in which I have compiled "WRITE" procedures receiving the PL/SQL tables as parameters and inserting and/or updating local tables.

Finally I have "TRANSFER" procedures calling the READ then the WRITE procedures to transfer data from the first to the second database.

I have to execute this in SERIALIZABLE transaction to have consistent reads in the first database.

When the TRANSFER procedures are compiled on the second (8.0.4.1) database
(calling the READ via a DB_LINK) the transfer works (I call this PULL
because the destination database fetches the data).

When the TRANSFER procedures are compiled on the first (7.3.2.3) database
(calling the WRITE via a DB_LINK) (I call this PUSH because the source
database sends the data) the transfer doesn't work, I get the following error :

SQL> execute transfer_dwhout_to_ods;
begin transfer_dwhout_to_ods; end;

*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02070: database DEV8.ODS does not support set transaction in this context

ORA-06512: at "APP.T_ADDR", line 53
ORA-06512: at "APP.TRANSFER_DWHOUT_TO_ODS", line 42
ORA-06512: at line 1

My big problem is that, for security reasons, I have to do PUSH (in fact the source db can see the destination but the destination cannot see the source).

Any ideas to solve this ?

Thanks in advance,

Philippe