HELP: problem restoring from cold backup

From: <ichwan.rachmat_at_creditlyonnais.fr>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:30:42 GMT

Hello,
I hope somebody can point me to the light on this matter.

I am trying to replicate an Oracle database on HP-UX by: 1. Restore a copy of cold backup of the database into a different directory $NEW_PATH.

2. Rename *.dbf to avoid conflict.
3. Rename config$SID.ora and modify datafile paths, SID and database_name
4. Rename init.ora and modify the location of config$SID.ora
5. Remove control (*.ctl) files and log (log*.dbf) files in this directory
6. Start svrmgrl as DBA

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected to an idle instance.
SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile=$NEW_PATH/init.ora ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area     32685320 bytes
Fixed Size                      38984 bytes
Variable Size                18310336 bytes
Database Buffers             10240000 bytes
Redo Buffers                  4096000 bytes
SVRMGR> Up to here, everything seems to be OK, but when I issued the CREATE CONTROLFILE command, it failed with error message:

SVRMGR> create controlfile reuse
*

ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
ORA-01565: error in identifying file '$NEW_PATH/syst$SID.dbf'
ORA-09782: sfifi: another instance has the same database mounted.
SVRMGR> Is there anything else that I missed out? I performed the same procedure with another dataset and it worked fine. Somebody please help....

Thanx in advance!
ichwan.rachmat_at_creditlyonnais.fr