Re: Why does Orcl generate REDO logs in NOARCHIVE mode?

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:19:15 +0000

Thank you for your detailed explanation, as someone else suggested, I hope you did enjoy it (you deserve something for your time and effort), I never intended to waste anybody's time and was quite surprised by the response.

As for the answer being in the books (references further in this thread). The manuals do explain the mechanism in some detail but they don't often answer 'what if' type questions so you understand the solution but not why it's the best solution. I will reread the manuals, it has been some time.

The answer hit me last night while watching telly, so I was expecting this and you didn't disappoint. Pity I didn't have it a few days ago and save you a lot of time.

The datafiles and the redo log flushes would need to happen together. This is obviously is not possible or even desirable and so data will be lost. The datafiles can't be guaranteed to keep the previous copy. Too simple for me.

As for the rest, which is now not worth commenting on now, then perhaps my explanation was poor. I would continue some of the points but I need to console my wounded pride so I think I will disappear in a puff of logic. Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 03:19:15 CST