Re: Why two rollback segments in system tablespace to create other tablespaces?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:18:16 +0100

The system rollback segment, ie the rollback segment named SYSTEM in the tablespace SYSTEM is created automatically and is used for DDL transactions ONLY. This means initially you have NO ordinary rollback segments. Try creating an empty database, apply a full database export to it, it will NOT work, as the tablespaces will be created before any non-system rollback segments (Question to Thomas Kyte and/or Peter Sharman: is this resolved in Oracle 8i?). You need to create an additional ordinary rollback segment in this tablespace system INITIALLY. This should be a PRIVATE rollback segment, and you can put it offline in normal circumstances, after tablespace creation. You should however retain it, if anything happens to your tablespaces (especially the tablespace with the rollback segments in it), in order to be capable of enabling it for maintenance operations. I always have a special init.ora file, with that rollback segment only. This enables me to have a fully operational database for DBA operations on the other tablespaces.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA