Re: Maximum memory on NT

From: <NOtakmel_at_stratos.netSPAM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:11:22 GMT

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:25:32 GMT, jeff_kalchik_at_spam-me-not.mw.3com.com (Jeff Kalchik) wrote:

>The article said 512mb of file cache. This was also in reference to
>NT server; NT Workstation was limited to something like 384mb.

If I may post a message not really related to the subject title of this thread but still about Oracle ...

How is Oracle on NT? Is Oracle v7.3.x or Oracle8 good to run on NT? I guess it might be more of how stable is the OS running the Oracle server ...

For a new site having to get new hardware & Oracle software what is better: to invest in entry level UNIX h/w to run Oracle on or is it better to invest in NT?

My choice, assuming upfront cost of UNIX being steep, is to actually invest in new NetWare h/w since we have NetWare expertise inhouse due to our LAN but it *seems* like not many sites are running Oracle on NetWare (other than the precious few who have answered to other threads in this ng)? Ofcourse I'm hoping that maybe Oracle on NetWare runs *so well* that no one bothers looking in ng ...

I was just talking with a MCSE in a *big* data center & the MCSE was saying that despite investing in server class boxes they periodically have to reboot their servers ... that scares me. I got used to our NetWare servers being up continuously that if we get Oracle on NT it will continuously need babying :-(

Any insight/advice/suggestions are appreciated! Received on Wed Mar 24 1999 - 16:11:22 CST