Re: Why does Orcl generate REDO logs in NOARCHIVE mode?

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:33:27 +0000

Agreed that redo logs aid recovery, but surely they are not essential. If you accept that in the event of a failure, you will restore to a cold backup, why do you need the redo logs. If you don't back them up and you loose everything you can still go back to a cold back even without the redo logs. I have thought about putting redo and rollback segments into a RAM disk to prevent the disk IO in certain situations (e.g. Development environment). I've already tried it with Rollbacks in RAM which seem to work OK. If it all goes nasty you just restore and re-run. No roll forward necessary.

It would be nice if you could turn either or both off and save on the overhead. Hence three modes. This would be particularly useful for large overnight batch jobs where you do a cold backup at the end anyway. Because the job works 99.999% of the time you wish to take advantage of the fact by switching off redo and rollback and save on loads of IO.

Just my thoughts. Anyone else care to comment. Are these features available in any other DBMS?

I still think Oracle writes twice as much data to the redo logs than it needs to because rollback info gets logged too. But that's another story.