Re: Async I/O

From: opus <opus_at_nospam.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:32:40 -0500

Stephane Faroult wrote:

> opus wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >

> > Now someone else from Oracle support sends me FAQ
> > saying I shouldn't use asyn I/O with JFS but there's no reason as to
> > what can happen if you do. So far been running like this for quite
> > awhile. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Opus
>
> The problem of async I/O is a data integrity problem. The purpose of a
> RDBMS is to ensure that any committed transaction has indeed being
> written to disk - this is the purpose of the log writer. Basically, when
> you say 'commit', then the log writer writes the log buffer to the redo
> log file, and when it is safely written on disk you get a 'committed'
> acknowledgement. If you use async I/O it just means that you send a
> write command, and anticipate a successful return. The question is then
> what will happen if somebody unplugs your computer at this crucial
> moment? It depends on how your buffers are managed and how your hardware
> behaves (i.e. if it has some battery to cope with a power failure). This
> is why async I/O may indeed work well with anything, until ..., but also
> why Oracle support people will only recommend it when it's totally safe.
> Who do you think you are going to blame if you ever have a data
> integrity problem ?
> --
> Regards,
>
> Stéphane Faroult
> Oriole Corporation
> http://www.oriolecorp.com, designed by Oracle DBAs for Oracle DBAs

Steph, thanks for your reply too...

We have backup power supplys of course. Mostly we don't really care about data integrity that much. We reload a database every single night and after the load is done it's read-only. We do this from flat files etc... If the database goes mams-up we just start again although it's never happened to this day yet. It will someday I'm sure.

So not sure if this is still a problem or whether it doesn't make any diff if I turn it off or on really?

opus Received on Mon Mar 22 1999 - 15:32:40 CST