Re: password file relocation

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:50:26 -0500

In it's documentation Oracle is quite definite that you should not move the password file but you should recreate it. That is a simple process. I suggest doing the same for the NT services. Just run the oradim utility to drop any exitsing services or to create new ones. It's just a line or two - see below.

Van

2. Creating the NT Services
When Oracle for NT (in the database assistant or as part of the install) creates a database it creates two services. The first is called OracleServiceSID and the second is OracleStartSID. You can see them in control panel/services. If you are creating your own database you can create these services yourself using the utility Oradim80. First build your init.ora or pfile.
To create an instance as well as the OracleServiceSID do this: C:\......>oradim80 -NEW -SID PLAY -INTPWD INTERNAL This creates the service named OracleServicePLAY with the instance PLAY with a password of INTERNAL for internal.
To get rid of the instance and service do this: C:\......>oradim80 -DELETE -SID PLAY
C:\......>oradim80 -DELETE -SRVC ORACLESERVICEPLAY To create an instance as well as two oracle services OracleServiceSID and OracleStartSID do this:
C:\......>oradim80 -NEW -SID PLAY -INTPWD INTERNAL -STARTMODE AUTO -PFILE G:\ORANT8\INITPLAY.ORA
This creates the services named OracleServicePLAY and OracleStartPLAY with the instance PLAY and a password of INTERNAL for internal. To get rid of the instance and services do this:

C:\.....>oradim80 -DELETE -SID PLAY
C:\.....>oradim80 -DELETE -SRVC ORACLESERVICEPLAY
C:\.....>oradim80 -DELETE -SRVC ORACLESTARTPLAY
There are other options that you can see by running oradim80 with no flags: C:\.....>oradim80
But once you've created the basic services it's probably easier to manipulate them in control panel/services

Manmohan Mann wrote in message <36F31D77.28DEE467_at_hotmail.com>...
>Hi,
>
>I had the same problem when I initially installed NT on an NT box.
>
>I saw it has a potential security hole.
>
>After quite a bit of work, I was able to make changes in the registry.
>
>The registry key location is 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE' the
>key (for the default database) is 'ORA_ORCL_PWFILE'. For an instance
>named TEST, the key would be 'ORA_TEST_PWFILE'. The value of this key
>is the absolute path to the password file.
>
>The thing I had to be careful about was to shut down the database, and
>associated services before 1) changing the registry, and 2) physically
>moving the password file. Restart the services and the database after
>making these changes. I am not clear why that is necessary.
>
>On a separate note, I also tried to move the STRTORCL.CMD file but have
>not been able to do it. I have the services and the database setup to
>start when I turn the machine on and if these file is not in the default
>location, the database does not start. The service seems to. However,
>I can run the STRTORCL.CMD file from a DOS window and the database does
>start.
>
>If anybody has any ideas on the STRTORCL.CMD file, I would appreciate
>hearing them.
>
>Thanks,
>

>DBAS wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have an oracle 7.3.4 database installed on an NT server, on the c:
drive.
>> I have moved it to another server on its d: drive by backing up the
control
>> file to trace and copying the database files.
>>
>> When running the modified script from above backup to recreate the
control
>> files I get an ora 01991 error saying that the password file is invalid.
The