Re: Beware! the days of Oracle may be numbered

From: Allan Kelly <ac_kelly_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:18:21 GMT

Sorry, but I just couldn't pass this one up. How many platforms does SQL Server run on? Answer: one. Windows NT. Which has not proven to be very scalable (read: large enterprise solutions). So you say a single-platform RDBMS is going to "dethrone" an RDBMS that runs on virtually every O/S in the known universe and is scalable to handle gigantic datastores? I've been involved in this field since the early 70's and have seen many "revolutions". I also know propaganda when I see it. Read the instructions below:

Microsoft = hype, trickery
Oracle = substance, solutions

Any questions?

Allan
p.s. Yes, I'm a former Oracle employee (Government Consulting Division), so I have bias, but that doesn't change the facts mentioned above. Besides, Wall Street "analysts" are not my idea of a reliable source of information for my personal career decisions. I've outguessed them so many times it ain't funny. They tend to panic at the drop of a hat. In December of 1997, they downgraded Oracle's position because Oracle missed projections by two cents. Two lousy cents. Because of this the stock fell from 34 to 17 in one month. Since then it has crept back up to 56, whereupon Oracle declared a 3 for 2 split (last month). In conclusion, look at it from the "big picture". I assume from your history that is what you're trying to do.