Re: datafile

From: Allan Kelly <ac_kelly_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:57:47 GMT

Normally, creating a database involves two scripts that are run from SVRMGRL. The first simply creates the SYSTEM tablespace and a datafile associated with it as well as the REDO log files and control files(locations of both are specified in INIT.ORA or CONFIG.ORA). The second script creates the ROLLBACK tablespace and other secondary initial tablespaces (USER, TOOLS, etc.) as well as rollback segments in the ROLLBACK tablespace. If you're on a Unix system there are example scripts provided by Oracle (CRDB.SQL and CRDB2.SQL). Look for them in the $ORACLE_HOME/svrmgr directory.

The CREATE statement should specify SYSTEM tablespace and one datafile (see the example files described above). The SYSTEM tablespace should be used solely for the data dictionary. All other data should be created in separate tablespaces after the CREATE DATABASE is executed. Hope this clears it up some.

Allan