Long data type problem

From: <andrewf_at_jaredgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:10:17 GMT

Long data type column can not be selected in a subquery for Insert.

What's the point of this restriction? You have to insert the rest of the record and then update this long column, making it less efficient.

Worse yet, the primary key of the table being inserted is populated by a trigger or Select sequence.NextVal. Now what choice is left? Have I to use cursor to do it record by record? I'm using Oracle 7.3.4.