Re: Beware! the days of Oracle may be numbered

From: KeyStroke (Jack L. Swayze Sr.) <KeyStrk_at_Feist.Com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:02:40 -0600

Yup. And I don't want it to happen to me ever again. The Oracle didn't surpass DB2 in new sales because Oracle was a better DBMS, it was because it was cheaper, while getting the job done adequately.

Now if someone else comes along with an even cheaper solution, that happens to be more closely integrated with the operating system to boot, the same thing will happen again. That is, as long as the DBMS gets the job done adequately. Version 7 of SQL server looks like it can do the job adequately. Probably not better, likely not even as good, but adequately.

When all the new cars on the street are running on unleaded gasoline, you don't want to be the only gas station in the city that only sells leaded gas.