Question about Record Locks

From: Todd Matson <UsenetReply_at_MatsonConsulting.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:50:42 -0800

If I have SELECT privileges only, is there anything I can do that will create a record lock?

Here's my situation: I have written a reporting tool which has SELECT privileges on a database. On rare instances, another application fails when it tries to make updates to the database. Now the DBA is asking me if my reporting application does anything which might cause the updates to fail (for instance, creating exclusive record locks). It is my understanding that I simply cannot do anything to interfere, even if I want to, as long as I have SELECT privileges only. Am I wrong about that?

I should mention that I am not running any stored procedures and I'm executing my queries through ODBC.

-Todd Matson Received on Wed Mar 17 1999 - 00:50:42 CST