Why Dropping Tables are Slow?

From: Julia Cristina Varela de Montoya <jc_va_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Mar 1999 02:33:31 GMT

When I run a script to drop many tables and even views, it takes a very long time using the Cost optimizer - up to 90 seconds each! However when we switch to Rule mode, it speeds up to a "normal" amount of time. Does someone can tell me why the difference? We have analyzed the tables, but we did not create any histograms. We only write scripts to "analyze table xxx compute statistics".

We use version 7.3.4.

Thank you very much. Received on Tue Mar 16 1999 - 20:33:31 CST