separate tablespaces for large tables?

From: David Spaisman <davedba_at_intercall.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:18:11 -0800

I have question as I have to size (and I would like to do so correctly) tables in a new database coming up for production soon.

Of 96 tables, there are 18 tables to be update frequently, with 7 being tables with 1000's rows, 8 being 100,000s rows and 3 with 1,000,000 rows. So I need to guestimate what pctfree to use in the table DDL.

This is a purchased application so we are guessing on how thw tables will be used.

But my question is should I use 1 tablespace for each of the three large tables? And should I have separate tablespace for each of the 8 midsize tables or use 1? How do you usually work with this?

If these tablespaces are on RAID 5 drives, does this still apply?

I am trying to minimize my subsequent maintenance woes. I will probably use a multiple of the multiblock read count parm in the init file based upon the avg rows size for determining my extent size(subsequent and initial)?

What are thoughts about tablespaces?

Thanks.

David Spaisman Received on Tue Mar 16 1999 - 23:18:11 CST