Keeping track of a before trigger

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:47:37 -0500

Is there any way to keep track of what a before trigger is doing? I'm running into a situation where a trigger is erroring out because of a constraint violation, but I don't know specifically what it was trying to do. I tried adding a log table to accept an insert of what it was trying to do, but it seems like that gets rolled back along with the transaction that fired the trigger in the first place. Also, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee of the order in which before triggers fire, so adding another before trigger that keeps track of what is going on isn't guaranteed to execute first anyhow. I'm thinking of analyzing the feasability of changing the trigger to an after trigger, and making a before trigger keep track of the insert, update, delete or whatever. Any other ideas?