Re: Oracle service in NT

From: Randall Prentice <RJP0_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:42:33 +0800

> I am a new Oracle DBA, and I have got a problem with installation of
> Oracle Vision demo Database.
> The domain server machine is running NT Backoffice 4.0, after I
> installed Oracle 8.0.5 server, and decompress the file for demo
> database, following the installation Note, I used following command:
> ORADIM80 -NEW -SID VDEM -INTPWD MANAGER -STARTMODE AUTO -PFILE
> D:\VDEM\INITVDEM.ORA.
> this created a NT service OracleServiceVdem and OracleStartVdem, because
> it has been set in auto mode so every time I reboot the server, it
> should automatically start the database, but for some reason the
> OracleStartVdem service does not start the database,from service window
> these services have started. and there is no error message at all.
> obviously OracleStartVdem pointed to somewhere else, I check the
> registry under service OracleStartVdem, it seems OK.

I would first check the ALERT log for Vdem.

I had the same problem with a backup that ran over time so that when the NT scheduler started the service the database didn't come up (Busy Files).

The ALERT log didn't completly help as it only told me "A" file was in use not which one but it was enough in my case.

Regards Received on Tue Mar 16 1999 - 08:42:33 CST