Re: Load data over web

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:42:33 +0000

I've had a go at this. We had a forms app that was deployed on the web which needed to upload graphics and store them in the database.

Our solution was to write a simple CGI program in ProC. This used the upload file mechanism supported in browsers. It was basically passed the key of the row the data need to be loaded into as well as the data (file contents) selected by the user. To invoke it the the forms app simply jumped to the relevant url. It surprising worked quite well.

This method is firewall friendly as it uses http.

I can give more info if required.

Forms 5 might now support this directly. What I would like to see is drag and drop of files straight into blobs. I see no technically reason why this can't be achieved but I don't know whether Oracle have implemented it. I haven't had time to investigate.