Re: Beware! the days of Oracle may be numbered

From: Rodgers, Tony (CEI-Atlanta) <Tony.Rodgers_at_cox.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:13:07 -0500

*hehe* This is one of the silliest things I've read in a long time. True, no company is guaranteed to last forever, but just because the database market is somewhat saturated (from the perspective of most analysts), and Oracle drops, that's no reason to announce "the beginning of the end". Oracle is a very strong company, and the idea Microsoft could even come NEAR an enterprise worthy database is a total laugh. Didn't you read the challenge to offer a million dollars to anyone who could prove that Microsoft's highly-touted SQLServer isn't AT LEAST 100 times slower than Oracle8i? Microsoft seems incapable of producing *anything* that is fast, and their database is no exception. Indeed the databases that give Oracle the biggest threats are DB2 and Teradata (in terms of VLDB's at least). So, thinking Bill Gates is well positioned to take the enterprise database market has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a while. As chuckh said, this is probably a great time to buy some Oracle stock!